Pages

Monday, February 14, 2011

Valentine's Day, a Restaurant Review, and a Recipe.


 This year, for Valentine's Day, we opted to go out a few days early to avoid the rush, the price fixe menus, and the generally cheesy feeling we get when we're doing what everyone else is doing (like standing in line with a snow shovel hours before the storm hits). I wore red unabashedly since it felt more like my choice. There's no photo of this, but it was just a sweater and jeans, people. February is cold! Oh, speaking of my uber-practical nature, this is Erik's solution to my distaste for expensive bouquets of flowers.


"Look!", he said with glee. "It's not a bouquet! It's a plant!" Well, be still my heart. Flowers that are still alive =D. We had a reservation for 6:30 at a local restaurant, but after watching this week's episode of Modern Family, I laughed out loud and told Erik we'd better make it later. (The episode featured Claire and Phil out to eat on Valentine's day. They were surrounded by the early-bird crowd of elderly people in motorized carts. It was 6:30)

Erik reminded me that I get hungry very early. He's right. I told him I'm getting younger with age. He sweetly changed our reservation.
We had a great meal of tapas and wine at a very trendy new restaurant, but after dinner, we set off for dessert at our favorite little place for Chocolate Lava Cake.

The cake is hot, the coffee gelato is rich and flavorful, and the little glass urns of coffee are the perfect, personal touch.

Service is fast and polite, and the surroundings are totally unpretentious. Cozy, private booths and tables; homey, who-cares decor; dim lighting; and really, really good food. Did I mention that this dessert was $5.00?

And now, the big surprise. This is Thai Taste in New Haven - our favorite Thai Restaurant around. We first fell in love with their curries, noodle dishes, and soups. Then one day we said "why not?" to trying an American dessert at this decidedly authentic Thai joint, and we've never looked back.

And then, on Valentine's day itself, we stayed in for a home-cooked meal and relaxation. I had to work some chocolate into the day since it's Erik's first love, so I made these Chocolate Ganache Covered Strawberries. Excuse my lack of presentation. They were deelicious.


--Throw together two double-boilers.
--Into one, pour semi-sweet/dark chocolate chips.
--Into the other, pour (fewer) white chocolate chips.
--Add a few pours of half&half to each.
--Add a small pat of butter to each.
--Melt em' down, stir, remove from heat.
--Dip each washed&dried strawberry into chocolate, and place on wax paper.

--With a spoon, drizzle white chocolate over each strawberry.--Place tray into refrigerator to cool.
--Take them out 15 minutes before eating.
--
Eat.

 

Oh yeah, and before I forget, here's wishing you one of these:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts